Search This Blog

Original Hardware--Hip, Handcrafted Silver Jewelry Designs's Fan Box

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Wierd Science

I tend to jump into things with both feet, not really thinking about all the logistics that are required to get from point A to point B.
Sometimes this doesn't serve me so well (like the bathroom painting project that my husband ultimately finished) and sometimes it turns out so wonderfully I am giddy for weeks!

This is one of those GOOD times......

I've been reading up on how to phototransfer designs (of your own making) onto sterling silver and etch them using an acid bath onto the metal. I was intimidated by the process at first (anything that strongly recommends wearing a mask and covering yourself is kind of scary!), but tried the technique recently with fabulous results.

These pendants are from my etched collection. I used a variety of patterns that in particular called out to me. It is kind of a laborious process to get them ready to etch, then etching them and finishing them up. But the result (at least I believe) is totally worth it! The photos aren't the greatest because I used my I-phone camera, but will be posting professional images soon....

With so many copycats, it's fun to come up with designs that I know for sure will not be copied (at least right away) and designs that truly come entirely from my own creation.

I'll be posting my etched designs on etsy and my Web site (http://www.originalhardware.com/) soon. Stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. How exciting! I love when hard work results in fabulous and unique jewelry. Looking forward to seeing more pics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! Great work, keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete