Search This Blog

Original Hardware--Hip, Handcrafted Silver Jewelry Designs's Fan Box

Saturday, May 16, 2009

A Tour of My Studio(s)

Location, Location, Location......

Many of my customers have asked me where I create my designs. The answer is, two locations!

I am a lucky girl in that I have enough room to have two places to do my work.

The basement location (at right) is where I do the nasty stuff--all of my soldering, hammering, chemicals, etc. are religated to this safe place where no one can bother me or my tools!

As you can see from my bench, I have tools everywhere! My husband made this set up for me and I love it. It has everything I need to get a design made and finished--from soldering to etching to setting stones in bezels, to filing and polishing!

As you can see from the bench, I am doing some etching at the moment. It requires a hot pancake griddle and an iron to transfer images onto the metal, like the ones on the left here that are ready for the etching bath!

Stay tuned for the finished etched designs.

I am really excited about how they turned out and can't wait to add them in the coming weeks.

I also photograph my work down here, so I can have a permanent set-up for shooting images.

My second studio is upstairs. This is my finishing studio, post office and general administration place.

My work bench is here, and so are all of my stones and things needed to finish a piece of work.

Over my finishing work bench, I have my favorite quote posted from Robert Frosts' Poem, "Road Less Traveled."
I love this room--it inspires me to be creative and it is my own space!

I am one of those people who likes to be surrounded by inspiring quotes, photos of friends and family, etc. in order to feel comfortable in my surroundings and create my pieces.

I remember when I started making jewelry, I had a rolling bin in the pantry with four drawers and some crappy tools.

Those days are long gone, and I am so grateful for the space that I have to spread out and make my designs in the way I do best...... Off to the studio to create new works so that I can soon be able to share them with all of you!

Keep this quote for today: "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined!"--Thoreau

2 comments:

  1. wow - you lucky girl!! two spaces!! thanks for giving us a peek...

    can't wait to see your etched works...i'm intrigued! do you take classes or self learn??

    much success to you!!
    lynn : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Lynn for your kind words! I have been to metalsmithing courses, but mostly learn for myself. THe etching was something I did with some help from my old friend the Internet...The pieces turned out awesome. Can't wait to finish them this week! Have a fabulous week!
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete